Thread: Value of atemi
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2005, 09:31 AM   #19
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Value of atemi

Quote:
Ron, I am not sure how you intended it when you said that if you want striking in Aikido you believe that it is best to go to Daito, the source. Out of curioscity how did you mean that?
Well, here's what I said...

Quote:
I think one of the issues people deal with is the difference between striking in arts like Tae Kwan Do or Karate, and striking in generic Japanese Jujutsu or specifically, Daito ryu. The goals and the methods may differ widely...which is why I personally am not in favor of adding strikes from other gendai or modern arts to aikido and then calling this cognate 'aikijutsu/aikijujutsu' etc. It isn't. If you want a model for striking in aikido, my belief is that you go to the source...Daito ryu.
I pretty much mean just that. There are a lot of gendai cognate arts out there that use the name Aikijutsu, aikijujutsu to denote aikido like movement with strikes and kicks added in. Personally, I don't buy it. Aikido isn't shotokan, or tae kwon do, or wing tsun. The movement patterns are different, the use of the body is different. If I evade and enter using one body movement style, then have to switch to power a reverse punch ala shotokan, then move to throw ala aikido, I'm switching the mechanics of my movement back and forth...that slows me down and throws off my timing. I believe even teachers like Koroiwa (who was a boxer before he came to aikido) had to make some changes to their movement to make what they did 'fit' the aikido paradigm of movement. Ellis Amdur might be able to speak to this more intelligently...he actually had the opportunity to train with Koroiwa.

Was that any clearer? Oh, Ellis has an excellent thread somewhere where he talks about atemi as irimi that sheds a lot of light on this subject. I can't remember if its here or at AJ. If I stumble across it in my wandering, I'll post the link.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)