View Single Post
Old 06-15-2005, 07:12 PM   #42
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan
Re: How serious a teacher are you?

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
The way Chris described is exactly how I felt a number of years ago, and it is still my favorite way to do it. But, I have started to make a consistent teaching curriculum for at least half of the class time because I was finding that the new people needed that, and the long time students couldn't care less - so it was a win-win.

Rob
We make an overall plan at the dojo for each class centered around a technique, an attack, a movement or a concept. We have a list of about 25 "things" that we set for any particular class and rotate through them. We also make allowances and time for test training and holidays.

Each class is then up to the discretion of the instructor on how they want to approach the particular "thing" for that class.

The reason we do this is to make sure that we, as instructors, are going through the complete curriculum and not skipping a concept because "it's too hard" for some of the people in the class.

An example...

Today, the class "thing" was nikajo. I had one person who showed up for their second class today, a bunch of people who had just finished there beginners course and a couple of more senior students.

I chose to have a more senior student show kamae and hiriki no yosei ichi to the beginner and then move into using hiriki no yosei to do nikajo. For the others in the class we did yokomenuchi nikajo osae ichi in partners and then a yokomenuchi nikajo nage in kagarigeiko.

Before class I had no idea how I was going to present nikajo...during warm-ups I decided because of who was present.

For me, this seems a good way to cover both worlds...make sure the students get a well-rounded education and let me be creative in how I approach a concept based upon my current thinking.

cheers,

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs