View Single Post
Old 06-14-2005, 12:23 PM   #79
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Highest Level Martial Arts and Aikido

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
That's a very interesting idea, but I think I am a living example of some middle ground between the two extremes.

I know I can do "techniques" with good footwork coordinated with normal strength. However, I also know I can "inflate" a bit which to me kind of feels like I fix my entire posture, and maybe at some points it kind of feels like my extender muscles are engaged as fully as possible without actually extending my arms or making them tight. I feel the back of my neck "open up", some muscles in my chest that I don't consciously control thoroughly relax and kind of get out of the way,(snip)

Would your opinion be that my description is "advanced normal-strength" or "novice kokyu power"?
Rob, it sounds more like a visitation by the Holy Ghost.

Sorry... I never pass up a one-liner if I can help it.

Practicing the way to move also involves a lot of thought, reasoning, etc. It is, as I said, a willful change in the way you move. It doesn't just "come upon you" from nowhere. For instance, in one of the last suddenly-dropped conversations with the Ki-Society guys, I tried to introduce the consideration of the physics involved. I think they want to opt for the "suddenly came upon you" scenario, but a physics evaluation is probably the best way to look at these things, IMO. Unless, of course, someone wants to argue that we're circumventing the Law of Conservation of Energy... that could be very interesting, even though the conclusion is foregone.

When you look at the physics involved, the best place to start is with the kokyu power. Take for instance the case of Tohei standing on one leg with a partner pushing on his forearm. Is that Ki? Everyone says it's a good demonstration of Ki. Could he resist the same magnitude of push if he was floating in a swimming pool? No. He needs the ground to brace against. Knowing that, we establish that there a connection (path) between Tohei's forearm and the ground, obviously. Granted, it may be a rather odd path, but the physics is now well in hand.

Applying this small portion of "internal strength" to your statement, Rob, are you suggesting that under certain stimuli your body shifts the way you have moved since the beginning of your life? Let's take it from that point and see how the discussion develops.

FWIW

Mike