View Single Post
Old 06-14-2005, 11:02 AM   #281
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States
Re: Aikido minus mysticism: a step forward

Quote:
Phillip Kirkan wrote:
How likely are you to be wearing it when you get attacked? At least some of the stuff that requires a grip on a gi or kurtka can be applied on street clothes.
My street clothes are (a) still not the same as what I wear to practice, and (b) slightly tighter. So not quite the same thing.

Quote:
Yes it does. However the first three paragraphs give you a definition that can easily be explained without mysticism.
However, if that is not the WHOLE definition, then you are still falling short.

Quote:
Now you're not making sense. This is "aikiweb.com". This thread is about aikido. We are discussing aikido. Yet you want to talk about FMA?
No. The point I am trying to make is that my persepctive on Aikido has been shaped by my experiences OUTSIDE it. When I talk about preserving part of a culture, I got that from Kali and Serak, and my Kali instructor never said their were exceptions.

In fact, my experiences in Kali have shaped my posts since I joined Aikiweb. Bit late now to complain about it.

Quote:
It possibly can, but so can gardening or playing chess. Martial arts were not developed for self improvement.
Neither were chess or gardening if it comes to it.