View Single Post
Old 06-14-2005, 03:57 AM   #271
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido minus mysticism: a step forward

Quote:
Bowing before you wrestle is like making the sign of the cross before you eat. I am not Catholic, so you are not going to see me do that either. Take your religious superstitions to the idiots who agree with them
Actually, I found this sentence the most ludicrous in Monty's post, rather than then rant on Kanos use of spirituality. As some may know, I am truly not a fan of most of the ritual used in many dojos, but a common theme I've seen in all nearly forms of fighting (even pub-do) with even a smidgen honour (for want of a better word) is a pre-fight ritual acknowledging the start of the fight. Whether it's the time honoured "are you looking at my pint" or the rather cute touching of gloves in mma, it seems to be ingrained in our make up and I'm sure Monty has some form of it in his dojo.

Where I'm beginning to become lost in this thread is that on the one hand there's a total discarding of anything remotely "mystical" in order to improve the martial art, while the examples used to show the misuse of mysticism are practitioners whose own capabilities are hard to overestimate.

Am I a fan of mysticism and ritual? No, but I also don't disregard it as I am a firm believer in correct attitude of mind. If someone can find that attitude through following what, to others, is esoteric dross, I don't care. Monty, I think you're in danger of throwing the baby out with the bath water.