View Single Post
Old 06-13-2005, 04:26 PM   #11
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: Value of atemi

Quote:
Dustin Acuff wrote:
I cannot speak from training but the only atemi I have seen (not been taught) are a bit unfriendly and uke would be lucky to only walk away from one with only a light displacement of balance.
Well the displacement of balance is not light, it results in Uke being thrown forcefully. However, this is from an Aikido perspective and I don't know if the DR folks apply atemi as a means of throwing without percussive hitting. Maybe someone else can shed some light here. To understand the application of atemi to disrupt balance and throw check this link for Atemi waza.

Quote:
Dustin Acuff wrote:
Being officers they tend to not want to hit people b/c of bad publicity, mountians of paperwork, and it just is not nice.
Yep, that makes sense.

Quote:
Dustin Acuff wrote:
The resistance was completely natural and as identical as possible in both scenarios, but it could not possibly be perfect.
Well this is it. Resistance takes on a whole new meaning when your mind is set to seriously and severely destroy your target. Unless you had this sort of mindset in your experiment I'd hazard to say that the degree of resistance was not "as identical as possible" to a possible prison scenario. To get a small idea of this sort of encounter check this thread on an actual Prison attack .

Quote:
Dustin Acuff wrote:
It is possible, if not probable, that if an atemi were misplaced then uke could use your own extention against you.
Possible only for someone not properly trained in executing atemi. One who is trained properly is able to generate enough power without giving away one's balance at all in the event of a miss. If this happens the person needs to work on targetting, centre and balance control imho. It is possible however for the person receiving the strike to disrupt the balance of the person applying the atemi by acting on their body in some way (before the strike actually lands) to create kuzushi. But this is because the Uke has taken the initiative and because the timing used in executing the atemi was poor on Tori's part, leaving an opening, but not because Tori has overextended the strike (and his balance) deliberately.

Quote:
Dustin Acuff wrote:
I guess my question could be rephrased as what are the value of atemi in kuzushi as opposed to blending and redirecting?
I think Lorien said it well above. Atemi and kuzushi are 2 aspects of Aikido's technical and strategic paradigm. In fact I'd doubt it if one could actually throw a non-compliant partner if one "blended" or "redirected" anything without at some point causing a disruption of the attacker's balance (kuzushi). As long as there is a throw or takedown, there is kuzushi, otherwise the person does not fall or roll away. Unless of course they are "taking a dive" of their own volition.

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca