View Single Post
Old 06-13-2005, 01:11 PM   #251
Pankration90
United_States
Re: Aikido minus mysticism: a step forward

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote:
Legend has it it's worn to conceal the footwork. Kendo people also wear them; feel free to grill them.
How likely are you to be wearing it when you get attacked? At least some of the stuff that requires a grip on a gi or kurtka can be applied on street clothes.

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote:
Ahem

I happen to have a copy of TOTAL AIKIDO right here, and you're right, on page 17, he does explain it the way you describe.

Then in the fourth paragraph it gets more "mystical."

So even the Yoshinkan people aren't totally free of that side of things. And it means there's more to ki than timing, etc.

Problem not solved.
Yes it does. However the first three paragraphs give you a definition that can easily be explained without mysticism.

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote:
Well, Guro Dan and Maha Guru Victor were the "masters" I was talking about, not Aikido masters. Their teachings as relayed through Guro/Pembantu Andrew Astle are what are influencing my views, not something from some hypothetical uber mystical Aikido sensei. That's how I'm approaching Aikido, and that's how I'm approaching this issue -- not from something from the Japanese, but something from FMA.
Now you're not making sense. This is "aikiweb.com". This thread is about aikido. We are discussing aikido. Yet you want to talk about FMA?

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote:
Nope. But do you think FMA training doesn't lead to self improvement?
It possibly can, but so can gardening or playing chess. Martial arts were not developed for self improvement.

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote:
Oh, and do you think FMA doesn't have a spiritual side? Do you think FMA people don't take respect very seriously? Or that FAM instructors aren't passionate in preserving part of their culture?
Preserving culture and respecting people aren't things that I consider spirtiual. I respect plenty of people, does that mean I'm being spiritual? No. It means that they've simply earned my respect.