View Single Post
Old 06-13-2005, 02:27 AM   #4
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan
Re: Poll: Should philosophy play a part in an aikido curriculum?

I just headed over to dictionary.com to make sure my understanding of philosophy made sense...here's what it told me:

phi·los·o·phy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (f-ls-f)
n. pl. phi·los·o·phies

1. Love and pursuit of wisdom by intellectual means and moral self-discipline.

2. Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods.

3. A system of thought based on or involving such inquiry: the philosophy of Hume.

4. The critical analysis of fundamental assumptions or beliefs.

5. The disciplines presented in university curriculums of science and the liberal arts, except medicine, law, and theology.

6. The discipline comprising logic, ethics, aesthetics, metaphysics, and epistemology.

7. A set of ideas or beliefs relating to a particular field or activity; an underlying theory: an original philosophy of advertising.

8. A system of values by which one lives: has an unusual philosophy of life.

I think all of those can be attributed in some way, shape or form to every dojo I have trained in.

When I originally read/answered this poll I was thinking of "dojo culture" and how that is shaped by the philosophy of the instructors and the people training there. I was especially thinking of the "training philosophy" within a dojo and how that would be shaped by its members. Reading the actual definition of Philosophy added a few more points.

With a few yen tossed into the pot...,

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs