View Single Post
Old 06-12-2005, 08:43 PM   #233
Pankration90
United_States
Re: Aikido minus mysticism: a step forward

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote:
Following your reasoning, they should do ALL no-gi and never, ever, wear a gi at all. This "equipment" is still "outdated Japanese clothing" as you put it, and if martial arts are supposed to be technique devoid of cultural references, then you should tell them not to do that ever again.
If you look at the gi or kurtka as equipment used in a sport, then it's fine to have them. Is the hakama used for any purpose in aikido or aikido competitions? I've never seen an aikido technique that involved using a grip on the hakama. Of course the gi and kurtka are still a traditional element, and one that I feel isn't needed outside of training as a hobby or to compete in a sport. If someone claimed they were teaching judo or bjj for self defense then they should probably do so without the gi.

I never said that all aikidoka should get rid of the hakama, I just said it's not necessary and if I taught we wouldn't use it.

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote:
Well, I just posted a quote that ki is "central to Aikido, and [O Sensei] always emphaszied the importance of ki." (Usehiba, Kisshomaru and Moriteru Usehsiba, Best Aikido: The Fundamentals, p.16). So if you take the ki out of Aikido, yeah, you could teach the joint locks and throws, but it's doubtful you could call it Aikido anymore.
Explain it as correct posture, timing, and technique (as it's explained in Total Aikido) and the problem is solved. 'Ki' is still there, minus the mysticism that usually surrounds it.

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote:
Feel free to look up Sifu Dan Inosnato, Maha Guru Victor de Thouard, and/or Sifu Francis Fong, and challenge them. Let us know how it goes. Don't forget the bucket for your ride home.
Where did I say anything about fighting anyone? I was talking about aikido, not FMA by the way. I don't see how FMA/JKD guys have anything to do with aikido 'masters'. How many aikido 'masters' have you seen fight someone who wasn't an aikido student?

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote:
Oh, and in Kali, yes, we get into things that can hurt and/or kill people. No question. But Guro Andy has emphasized "we are here to improve ourselves," not become assassins.
Yes, learning the best ways to kill someone with a knife is a GREAT way to improve yourself... Do you honestly think that filipino martial arts were developed for self improvement?