Old 06-12-2005, 07:36 PM   #226
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States
Re: Aikido minus mysticism: a step forward

[quote=Monty Collier][quote]
Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote:

The point of the this thread is that you can eliminate mysticism and advance Aikido. I am glad to see that you now agree .....
No, I don't; I explained why in my other post. (Yes, I did some reading this morning.)

Quote:
..... you can change the name and still have the content ....
And they haven't changed the name -- it is still a Japanese name, and they still use a Japanese form of dress. If martial arts are supposed to be, as you seem to claim, just technique devoid of cultural references, they should not do that. Why don't you contact them and tell them that?

Quote:
Maybe, but an appeal to numbers is a fallacy (ad populum). It is always better to be right because you are right, not because your 60 years old (or have been doing something 35 years, and so on).
One could just as easily disregard whatever time you've put in praciting grappling as an "appeal to number." Or how long the Gracies have done what they've done as an "appeal to numbers." But I don't think you'd go for that, would you?

Sesnei's background means and history means that he knows what he's talking about. What backs you up? Other than your friend's web site? Since you refuse to say how much, if any Aikido training you have had, I don't know where you're coming from. You could be a third degree black belt who's had a lot of time to think about it; you could have just had a beer with an Aikido sensei one night. I have no idea. But I am supposed to accept you are right and almost everyone involved in Aikido from O Sensei on is wrong because of a definition of mysticism that you and your friend have concocted? What if that's wrong? Then the house of cards comes crashing down.