View Single Post
Old 06-10-2005, 08:00 AM   #25
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Re: Frustrated by unconvincing aikido

Quote:
Greg Jennings wrote:
At about 2 years, my instructor told me, in a very nice way "The best advice I can give you is to shut up and just train". The 10 years since have deepened my appreciation for his wisdom.

Regards,
Hi Greg. I hope you don't think that I don't completely agree with this - dissention has to be silent. You go to a course or visit an instructor and learn what you can. If you feel there is nothing to learn there you say to yourself afterwards - I'll leave that for now. If you have no faith in the effectiveness of something after a considerable time, you either need to test that faith, or work out why, or find a training method you believe in. Otherwise we are just copying and not understanding.

P.S. I like this 'my style is better than yours' banter. Although much of it is probably rubbish, I believe that (outside the dojo) we should discuss these things seriously and try to resolve what is evidently at the base of some very major difference in aikido.

I think it is a very dire problem in aikido that the only (ethical) way to test it is by being attacked for real (since, mostly, we acknowledge competitions as being unrealistic). Maybe that is why, as serious aikidoka, we should welcome real attacks, as an opportunity to test the validity of our assumptions!

Last edited by ian : 06-10-2005 at 08:14 AM.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---