View Single Post
Old 06-10-2005, 07:39 AM   #9
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Re: Training against Violent Assault

I completely agree with the article and although you (logically) can't train for the unexpected, we CAN determine what is not expected by the average person, we can train for different scenarious and we can train for instantaneous reaction. As aikidoka we must be aware that zanshin is probably the most important aspects of martial arts - without awareness we will almost always be defeated (from experience - you'll know that being hit before responding rapidly decreases your chances of making any suitable response).

Many many many attacks are a standard attack type for that attacker, and if you respond effectively to that first attack you have suprised THEM.

However, aikido (I think compared to many martial arts) is geared to training in this way. We have sudden, aggressive, single attacks, usually with nage in an open posture. We also do multiple attack.

I always find when I do daily training (e.g. on week long courses) or after doing alot of randori, my awareness improves to the point of paranoia - to the extent that walking in the supermarket I am concious that I do not want anyone directly behind me.

I heard that Ueshiba's aiki-jitsu instructor did not allow anyone within 3 yards of him - now if a renowned martial artist is that paranoid - what should we be doing?

Aikido training saved my life - not because of the techniques, but because when someone lunged at me with a knife, I moved off centre line and entered (and actually struck them in the face - much more reminiscent of a jo strike). In aikido the techniques are pretty irrelevant - as I say in my quote; you have to understand the training method (and just as the passage said - you have to understand WHAT you are training and this can only be done by understanding how the dojo is different from real attacks). Aikido is a superb self-defence; I just think people often aren't aware of what they are actually training themselves to do.

I remember Ron Tinsdale (?) was very dubious about some things I said about previous confrontations I've had (particularly cos I'm quite small and had some confrontations with people almost double my weight). However it is because of the psychology of response which gave me a massive advantage. I was able to respond without having to 'worry' about combat - it just happened. I couldn't have planned a repsonse (it was completely subconcious), but I did train just to respond - by doing aikido.

Last edited by ian : 06-10-2005 at 07:43 AM.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---