View Single Post
Old 06-09-2005, 11:09 AM   #60
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Highest Level Martial Arts and Aikido

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
Do they come from chen style tai-chi? Where can these qigongs be more thoroughly explored?
No, it's not specific to Chen-style. The use of ki and kokyu things is across the spectrum of martial arts. These sayings are known by all martial styles, insofar as I know. I realize it's sort of a stunner that the basic information is used by everyone, but it's a fact. I saw a post on Aikido Journal's forum where there was a discussion about some karate teacher (at Aiki Expo, I think) using kokyu.... sure, both "hard" and "soft" arts use these basic principles. It's the basis of the higher levels of all Asian martial arts that have been around a while. I tried to say it before... what Ueshiba was using was basic to Asian martial arts, it's just that he did it along the way that is considered the most sophisticated (if you do it in the direction of "motion approaches stillness" and you use that ability to "harmonize" with anything an opponent throws at you).

And as I've said before, it's really weird that this more or less "secret" information is still kept secret while at the same time it's so widespread across the arts.

Mike