View Single Post
Old 06-09-2005, 10:59 AM   #8
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Frustrated by unconvincing aikido

A student of mine had a similar encounter when she went to visit another dojo that belonged to a line that traced itself up to a very prominent early Aikido shihan (who was also quite known for this take on things). The dojo itself was ran by a prominent instructor of that line. They were doing irimi nage. My student raised a similar question concerning the geometry being used to achieve the fall, etc. The answer she received: The attacker falls down because they get dizzy.

doh!

Sometimes there is more to see, but sometimes one is seeing everything just fine. Because it's hard to tell sometimes, it's best to keep on training but not at the sake of losing one's critical mind. My advice, train AND continue to question. Don't let one get in the way of the other, and don't require one to disappear so that the other one can exist. Learn to let one nourish the other, learn to let one be nourished by the other.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.