United_States
Re: Highest Level Martial Arts and Aikido

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
Motion-Stillness
Powerful-Relaxed
Contraction-Extension
Hard-Soft

They are basically all shades of Unification-Separation in my opinion. It is interesting to get the Chinese interpretation of these.
Well, actually, they are pretty specific to the training of the body. I already mentioned what motion and stillness refer to generally; in a training context you use various held kokyu forces to train the body in standing (stillness trains motion)... "Aiki" as Shioda did it is the obverse of motion returning to stillness. The other 3 "polarities" are different things you physically do with the body. For instance, someone previously (in a different thread) mentioned how he learned part of an exercise where they raise the hands over the and then pull down and in the arms and hands tightly making fists... I knew right away that he was describing the outward appearance of one of the "contraction-extension" trainings that go with traditonal martial qigongs. In other words, these 4 polarities (8 powers) are pointing out the 4 major components of martial qigong training.

FWIW

Mike