Old 06-09-2005, 08:13 AM   #25
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
Re: aikido and sword principles

Quote:
Joep Schuurkes wrote:
To get back to my original question:

can we conclude that the only reasons aikido is based on sword movements are historical in nature?
The only reason any expression of principle can be said to be based on a different expression of the same principle is historical context, yes - you have my agreement there.

Quote:
Joep Schuurkes wrote:
In other words, the use of sword principles in aikido has no advantages when compared to other martial arts that were not influenced by sword arts?
I, personally, do not agree with those other words. I think it is advantageous to study the principles from every angle (point of view).

I do agree with Michael, that is you haven't actually studied sword, relating sword practice to anything is kind of pointless. I have seen so many people try to do shihonage against minimal resistance by trying to directly lift my arms. When I ask them why they continue to try to do it that way, many of them inform me that it's just like sword. I ask them to show me, and they just lift their sword up from just about as out-stretched position as possible in an arc until it is over their head. Which is pretty much the same movement they are trying to do empty handed. The answer, to me, is normally do a drill where someone stands in front of you and tries to cut your exposed wrist while you lift the sword up (from a distance where you might stand in sword combat). If the person does it that silly arcing way, you can easily cut their wrist every time. If they bring it in a bit first and lift it up close to their body (like anyone would do lifting weights over their had) then they can start to avoid the cut, but I can still get them by advancing on them a bit. Lastly, when I ask them to thrust at me to back me off a bit, leave their sword tip where it is and advance their body forward so that they can lift their sword up close to their body, I can't get an obvious advantage. If you make shihonage work that way, especially getting a twist in there to continue to give direction to the leg power of the advancing and the thrust (assumes empty handed version is done with the mind still extending feeling to the tip of the imaginary sword) then it's pretty difficult to resist. Then they normally turn, and put all of their energy into their elbows and get stuck again, but I don't cut with all the energy in my elbows either.

Rob