Old 06-09-2005, 01:38 AM   #98
Keith_k
Dojo: Kim's Hapkido
United_States
Re: Aikido minus mysticism: a step forward

Quote:
Quote:
The nature of your knowledge of Aikido is in dispute
No, the topic of this thread is not "the nature of my knowledge of Aikido. Please read the thread topic, and return to the subject of discussion.
Please read carefully. I did not say that the topic of discussion was your knowledge of Aikido. I simply said that you knowledge of Aikido is in dispute. Do you deny that the origins of your aikido knowledge have been questioned?
Quote:
Quote:
yet you refuse to detail how you came about your knowledge
Because that is a red herring. Take a course on logic.
How so? What you know about Aikido's mysticism is relevant, by the topic you set.
Quote:
Quote:
Did you receive instruction? Did you read books? Did you simply watch a few videos?
Are you denying that you cannot learn knowledge from such mediums?
It is improper to answer a question with a question. I do not deny that information can be obtained from a variety of sources, I simply asked what source you obtained your information from. You still have not answered.
Quote:
Quote:
The topic of debate is the effectiveness and/or usefulness of Aikido philosophy
No, the topic is Aikido minus mysticism: a step forward
No. "Aikido minus mysticism: a step forward" is the title of the thread.
Quote:
Quote:
Please detail for us exactly what you know about Aikido, so we may know how seriously to take you. Your refusal to do this is an indication that you have something to hide.
This line of reasoning is fallacious.
It is like when a person is arrested and the police question the person. The person says, "I would like my lawyer present."
The police respond in an attempt to intimidate the person and say, "Only someone who has something to hide, or has done something wrong needs a lawyer." Such nonsense works on some, but not those who understand basic Logic.

I can refuse to tell you who my father is, and that does not mean that I have malicious intent towards you. I can refuse to tell you who trained me, and how long I trained, and that does not mean that I mean you evil. You are arguing from what has not been said. Try arguing from what has.
It is you who is arguing from what is not said. I did not say, nor imply, that hiding the origins of your aikido knowledge was evil or malicious. I simply said that not revealing your sources implies that you are hiding them. If you are hiding something, it is reasonable to assume you have a reason for hiding. The simplest and most obvious reason that you would not say how you came about your knowledge of Aikido is that you fear that this information would weaken your position. The only way this information would weaken your position is if your knowledge of Aikido is inferior. I can therefore assume that if you do not tell us how you know about Aikido then your knowledge of Aikido and it's philosophy is inferior.