Re: Aikido minus mysticism: a step forward

Quote:
Keith Kolb wrote:
Quote:
Very well, Mr. Beetle. Logic it is.
What you wrote was rhetoric, not logic.

Quote:
The nature of your knowledge of Aikido is in dispute
No, the topic of this thread is not "the nature of my knowledge of Aikido. Please read the thread topic, and return to the subject of discussion.

Quote:
, yet you refuse to detail how you came about your knowledge
Because that is a red herring. Take a course on logic.

Quote:
Did you receive instruction? Did you read books? Did you simply watch a few videos?
Are you denying that you cannot learn knowledge from such mediums?

Quote:
The topic of debate is the effectiveness and/or usefulness of Aikido philosophy
No, the topic is Aikido minus mysticism: a step forward

Quote:
I may watch a few UFC matches and conclude that shooting for the legs is an stupid technique because a good kicker can kick the shooter in the face as he shoots. However, if I actually trained in MMA/grappling, I may have a different, and more knowledgeable, opinion. Those who have this more knowledgeable opinion my disregard my un-knowledgeable opinion on the basis that I do not have enough experience with grappling to know how effective the technique is. This would be rational.
This is not rational. It does not matter what one's opinion is, but what the truth is. If it is true that one should not shoot for the legs under specific circumstances, then you should not.

Quote:
The Aikidoka who are disputing you feel that they can disregard your opinion in a similar way, because you do not have enough knowledge of Aikido philosophy to have a realistic opinion.
Again, apply the reasoning to math.
A guy claims to a group of people that 2+2=4
The group thinks the guy doesn't have enough math classes under his belt to make such a claim. So, they pass off what the guy is saying as foolishness. Again, it matters not who is saying the proposition, but what matters is that the proposition that is being said is true or false.

Quote:
Please detail for us exactly what you know about Aikido, so we may know how seriously to take you. Your refusal to do this is an indication that you have something to hide.
This line of reasoning is fallacious.
It is like when a person is arrested and the police question the person. The person says, "I would like my lawyer present."
The police respond in an attempt to intimidate the person and say, "Only someone who has something to hide, or has done something wrong needs a lawyer." Such nonsense works on some, but not those who understand basic Logic.

I can refuse to tell you who my father is, and that does not mean that I have malicious intent towards you. I can refuse to tell you who trained me, and how long I trained, and that does not mean that I mean you evil. You are arguing from what has not been said. Try arguing from what has.

Red Beetle