View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 12:41 PM   #70
Red Beetle
Dojo: Ithaca
United_States
Re: So I took a Judo class today...

Quote:
I went to a Gracie Jiu Jitsu school for a while.
Cool, where did you go?

Quote:
When we did standup randori without the gi I was able to throw just about everyone I went against even though I had never trained without a gi before. So I really can not agree with you because my personal experience tells me otherwise.
I would love to see you come to Silvio Braga's Jiu-jitsu school in Knoxville, TN and just wrestle his guys stand up with the Gi. I have a feeling you would get educated real fast. And these guys are just Brazilian Jiu-jitsu.

I've seen guys from Helio 'Soneca' Moreira's schools who were white belts and blue belts toss Judo brown belts during stand up matches with the gi. The Judo guys had won plenty of Shiai, and were trained by a Rokudan, but could not get the takedown. This made the Jiu-jitsu guys really downplay Judo. 'Soneca' had studied Judo in Brazil.

Quote:
The only people I did not dominate were a few very large wrestlers, and even then it was a stalemate, they also had many more years wrestling experience than I had Judo experience.
Wow, you sound like your a natural takedown machine. That, or your doing takedown wrestling with a bunch of chumps.

Quote:
It is so easy to apply judo without a gi that it would take a complete moron not to be able to do it.
You are so wrong. Judo is not designed for NO-GI. The front-headlock demonstrates this all too well. I got kids who are in high-school, and they could put you in a front-headlock, and you will not get out with all your Judo. Like I said earlier, I have seen Brazilian Jiu-jitsu black belts incapable of escaping a collegic front-headlock. The front-headlock was not found in any Asian style. It is a Western hold. And a damn good one. Get a copy of Gable's Advanced Wrestling and check out how he puts it to use. You have to be trained to use and escape the front-headlock. And then, if the guy understands 'stance in motion' your gonna hate it.

Quote:
In order to be a good Judoka you have to train throws from as many types of grips possible. The grip I used most often in the no gi randori was a koshi garuma around the neck which is basic Olympic Judo 101.
I have never seen a Judo school take off their jackets and perform pummeling drills. Such drills are basic for no-gi stand up positioning.
Maybe you are referring to to what is called a C2 grip in Modern Judo (there is no such thing as a Koshi-guruma grip). This is where you take your power hand and grip around his neck at the 2nd cervical vertabrae. The C2 grip is still quite different from a Collar-Elbow (which is maybe what you are thinking about). You don't seem to know what you are talking about. You should know the basic terminology of Kumi-kata if you study Modern Olympic Judo. Maybe your teacher doesn't instruct you in this, or maybe you don't listen in class. Here are some of the grips in Modern Olympic Judo: C2, Right-Natural, T3, Left-Natural, LeftvsRight, Scapula, Pectoralis Pocket, Anterior elbow, Double-lapel, Double-sleeve, Yamarashi (careful 5 seconds for this one), and two on one, and so forth.

Quote:
The same goes with striking, I have sparred karate guys before and was able to toss them around like rag dolls even though they were trying to strike me.
This I believe. Keep up the good the work.

Quote:
And I am nothing special in Judo either, I am only a blue belt and I compete every once in a while at the local level.
Your special to us dear.

I think we agree more than you know. You just like verbal Judo. The problem is that I do too. You would like our Academy. I have some who preach that wrestling with a Gi is a dead art. I have some who only do Judo. I have others who only do AAU Folk-style. Then there are those who do it all.

R.B.

Last edited by Red Beetle : 06-06-2005 at 12:43 PM.