View Single Post
Old 06-05-2005, 09:30 PM   #33
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Highest Level Martial Arts and Aikido

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote:
How interesting... I'm aware of the historical facts regarding Chen-jia and Yang-jia origins, however, IIRC, the claim to the Chang San Feng lineage was the other way round (i.e. by the Chen's)

I would be appreciative if you could point me in the direction of the historical evidence (you cite) which says otherwise. I'm intrigued...
Hi Ignatius:

I've never seen any Chen document indicating Zhang San Feng. Actually, a quick glance at the known records (myths, most of them) about Zhang are very vague and say nothing about Taiji. Pretty much every traditional Yang-oriented book will lay the invention at the doors of Zhang San Feng.

Even the Yang family source of "Wang Tsung Yueh" appears to be a fabrication by Wu Yu Xiang... the unfortunate fact is that at least 20 of the supposed "sayings" of Wang Tsung Yueh are known to be in the records for Zhang Nai Jou, a famous martial artist who did not do Taiji. I can send you a copy of the more or less traditional Chenjiagou history, if you'd like, so you can see what their oral tradition is.

Interestingly enough, the fact that a lot of the Taiji admonitions, qi talk, etc., is similar to what someone (Zhang Nai Jou) said, points to the fact that the qi and jin understanding is the same across multiple arts... just like what I'm saying in regard to Aikido, karate, Chinese arts, etc., all having a common basis in the ki and kokyu area.

FWIW

Mike