View Single Post
Old 06-05-2005, 06:21 AM   #54
mj
Re: So I took a Judo class today...

This isn't an MMA forum though, is it?

Judo should be grateful for MMA as it has reinvigorated a sport that was becoming more and more minor. From the wonderful mid 80s when around 12 million people worldwide were doing Judo it only took a few years to the mid 90s for that figure to drop to around 4 million.

Competition fighters looking for sponsorship and the introduction of so many new rules, groundwork being removed and the hunt for television money destroyed grass roots Judo. The days when a player would stay at one club for life are long gone. The appearance on the international scene of MMA, Pride, UFC and so on has saved Judo. Judo was not capable of saving itself and was collapsing under its own weight.

And where do many Judo people want to go once they are 'passed it' (for lack of a better phrase)? What do they do once their knees are gone, they can't straighten their arms and the injuries have caught up over 20 years?

Do they want to live on old war stories?

I went to Aikido. I discovered a gem of an art which probably would not have interested me as much when I was younger (although I went to Aikido when I was younger, it was just as a break from normal training).

Coming to Aikido with a Judo knowledge of bodyweight, angles, movement, tsukuri, kuzushi and all the rest....fitness training and uchikomi - it is very enjoyable.

But that's just me