View Single Post
Old 06-04-2005, 09:06 PM   #13
eyrie

Australia
Re: Highest Level Martial Arts and Aikido

Of course! When I say "happen", I obviously don't mean "magically". "Naturally", perhaps... definitely not "magically".

All of the "attendant skills" (not just ki and kokyu extension primarily, but also ma-ai, timing, tai sabaki etc. etc.) come into play - I believe what some aikidoka refer to as "shuchu rokyu"?

Quote:
...Taiji says it's highest level is "receiving power". And so on. In reality, the idea of "no form" almost always means a combination of automatic use of ki/kokyu and automatic application of well-practiced techniques....
Not disputing this aspect of "no form" or "formless-ness", however it is phrased. It's hard to explain in words. To me, this [beyond technique] means letting go of preconceived notions of response application to set attacks and letting the mind and will express the technique (rather than "no technique" or physically expressing the technique). Obviously, none of this is possible without the requisite preparation that comes from "correct" practice.

I feel, the concept of "receiving power" also exists within aiki. At a base level, this can be a simple "sutemi" technique, where one mechanically "sacrifices" oneself. To me, sutemi is a kind of "receiving power" as well as the other attendant "meta-physical" interpretations of what "sacrifice" means.

Quote:
What I was saying was the "highest level" is an ideal, but it shows the importance of aiming your practice in the development of ki and kokyu skills as part of your Aikido (or other art).
As it should... as it should....even in a "traditionally external" MA, oh, for example, karate....?

Last edited by eyrie : 06-04-2005 at 09:17 PM.

Ignatius