View Single Post
Old 06-01-2005, 08:31 AM   #41
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: A Word of Concern to all Aikidoka...

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:
Ted is being a bit cryptic.
I'm sure he will make an excellent teacher.
Quote:
They would be wrong because you can place your one point at your body center, at the top of your head, on the floor, center of gravity (which can be outside your body), across the room, etc. It's a beginner's misunderstanding to equate it with center, dan tien or hara easily made because putting your one point in your lower abdomen is good starting point for learning basic movements and breathing exercises. It most definitely is not a particular chakra/point on the body. It might be better understood as a focal point of awareness which guides your movement or response but that description doesn't quite cover all the bases.
How about covering some of the bases, Craig? If you "place your one point" at the top of your head, on the floor, etc., does it relate back to any particular places in your body or is it just a free-floating point?

The idea of "keep your mind in your dantien" is pretty much akin to "keep your one point", although neither one of those statements says in full all the things you can do when you understand it. Both "chakra" and "dantien" have their origins as implying places from which the body powers focus. For instance, the "hara" or "dan tien" in the middle of the body (it's more correctly the "middle dantien", "main dantien", etc.) is a focal point for the powers of "heaven and earth" when you utilize them; i.e., it is not just a point that is in limbo from which you bend and direct things. All points of power have to be based on some reference point of power.

Above that middle dantien is the dantien in the chest area... however, the chest dantien is a secondary power point that is controlled by the middle dantien's power. My comment being that no point is free-floating. So would you mind clarifying, since you're a scientist, what you mean when you say you put a point at the top of your head, on the floor, etc.? Also, I take your comment that it is a "focal point of awareness", but "awareness" doesn't effect any forces, such as are demonstrated in ki-tests, etc.

Regards,

Mike Sigman