View Single Post
Old 06-01-2005, 04:18 AM   #39
Red Beetle
Dojo: Ithaca
United_States
Re: So I took a Judo class today...

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:
Your website makes no mention of Aikido.

what numbskulls would be visiting a Judo school to challenge the teacher's Aikido technique ?

I can't imagine anyone who really had a good understanding of Aikido.
Craig,

You got a great web-site!

You are correct when you state that my website makes no mention of Aikido. I probably will not have anything Aiki-related on the site for some time. The reason is because I do not teach Aikido to beginner students unless they absolutely demand it. At my old school location I had a sign up advertising for Aikido. I got a steady flow of people interested in only Aikido. Now, I think you should be able to defend yourself, and most people get into the martial arts for that specific reason. I will not lie to people when they ask me if they can defend themselves with only Aikido. I tell them nicely that unless you are EXTREMELY good it is not likely that you will be able to handle most all-out-fighting situations against the 275lbs Irish Brawler.

My first teacher was a master at Hapkido and Yudo. I watched him fight several challenge matches against much larger adversaries. We had witnessed his amazing ability to use Hapkido to spin guys around, then project them thru the air effortlessly. We had witnessed his agility when we saw him execute the high spin kicks of the Korean systems too. But when it came time to fight the challenge matches there was no Hapkido, no Taekwondo, but only Yudo. And man was he rough. He was known for choking adversaries out while they were still standing, and then he would throw them!! Once the impact of the throw actually woke up one of his opponents. So, he choked him out again. Now, he was a business man, and when we asked him why he never kicked or did any of Hapkido in the challenge matches, but only did Judo, he would smile and say, "Oh, good! Now you want to do Judo too!" He never would answer us straight out, but we got the point. He was good at making money. If he knew a person was not tough enough for his Judo class (and man was it a rough class to go thru) he would tell the person, "You are made more for Taekwondo, Hapkido, Kumdo...).

I could run my school like that. I probably would make more money. But, I want people to be able to intelligently defend themselves. One might look at developing a fighting system the same way one would look at building a house. You first will start with the foundation (on the ground). Then you put up the structure. Then you put the roof on. The foundation would be Katame-waza (grappling--Brazilian Jiu-jitsu--Kosen Judo..). Next you need some close range tachi-waza (nage-waza--Judo, free-style, Greco-Roman throwing tactics). Finally, you need some long range tachi-waza (Aiki tactics, maybe a good understanding of western boxing, some Thai, ect.).

So, to be honest, if you want to learn the best ground technique, then you need to study Gracie Jiu-jitsu, Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, and Kosen Judo. If you want to learn the best way to throw using the other guy's jacket, then you need to study Kodokan Judo and Modern Olympic Judo. If you want to learn the best way to throw without using the other guy's jacket, then study Free-style, American Folk-style, and Greco-Roman wrestling. If you want to learn the best way to re-direct, and then project (or immobilize) an attacker who is completely committed to his advertised punch, kick, or charge, then you can't beat Aikido.

I personally think that it is best to learn proficiently the 67 official throws of Judo before embarking on a serious study of Aikido projections. It doesn't seem that many agree with me on this point at this forum. That's o.k. The better my Judo gets, the better my Aikido gets. To me, Aikido is just a very subtle form of wrestling. Any good wrestler can throw his opponent effortlessly when the opportunity is right. Any good wrestler can make throwing look easy against one who is not trained to wrestle. After all, Judo is simply Jacketed wrestling.

It really is quite the experience to get a hold of a high level Judo player who is well trained. I have wrestled some who applied no pressure. They did not pull or jerk. They did not push or shove. You felt like you were holding an empty jacket when you finally got your grip (kumi-kata). You felt nothing as you watched this guy blitz into position, then a quick brush and over you went !!! I remember getting up smiling and thinking to myself, "How is this guy doing this without the rough strength?" But, I was young then. I worked with the same guy recently, and when your skill is close to the other guy's, then strength, speed, size, weight, conditioning, and innovation all become tools which you should use.

Aikido has its place. It should not be ignored. It should be learned and studied. The techniques should be promoted and developed. I love to watch good Aikido. I love to learn good Aikido. I love to see people practice good Aikido. I once heard a teacher explain the place of Jiu-jitsu, Judo and Aikido like this:

He said,
"Jiu-jitsu, Judo, and Aikido are like three sisters."

"Jiu-jitsu is the Oldest sister. She has a bad temper and likes to fight. She is only interested in winning fights. She has fought many times and knows what is effective from countless experiences. Since she will fight anyone, she must have excellent technique to secure victory. You know what to expect when she comes for you, but still, it is not easy to stop her. And, if you had to be in a fight, you would want her standing next to you, and on your side."

"Judo is like Jiu-jitsu's younger sister. She is more interested in competing in events and not actual combat. She is more interested in the glory of competition, and not always survival. But she can and will fight if pushed. Years of training and competition has made her tough. And remember, she grew up with big sis who taught her a few tricks."

"Aikido is the youngest sister. She is not interested in war or competition, but she is familiar with its background. She seeks a peaceful solution always. She is also the most beautiful of her sisters. She is very graceful to watch. You always feel good just being in her presence. But, she is not incapable of defense. She can manage quite well on her terms, and she is very tricky. Even still, one should be aware that even if she fails, she still has two older sisters who jealously guard and watch over her. Because they are all sisters, then you can bet that they are not far from her."

The point of his story was that a person should be well versed in each of the three styles. Get to know these sisters well. Know when it is time to call on each of them.

Train hard guys.
Red Beetle

www.kingsportjudo.com

Last edited by Red Beetle : 06-01-2005 at 04:31 AM.