View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 05:55 AM   #7
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States
Re: Martial arts and Children.

I have a small class on Cape Cod.I have had some kids in class. And people are surprised that there are not more kids in class. One of the issues is that kids want to kick and punch and do what they see on TV. It is difficult to tell a young kid that he/she do not have to learn how to pound another kid into the ground to be cool. So they move on to a karate dojo.
Not all other MA dojos that teach kids are only trying to produce a huge cash flow. I know a couple of Tang Soo Do instructors that have been teaching kids for so many years, that now, the kids of the original kids are studying under the same instructors.

But that, unfortunately, is not the norm.....

But if parents can find a school of any martial art that has a good set of instructors, who are more concerned with what they teach, and that the result of their teaching is a well rounded child, instead of the 30 dollars they will receive each time the child passes another belt/stripe test.....then the child will be very lucky.....

But.....the point of this thread is that many associate martial arts teaching and kids as one.