View Single Post
Old 05-27-2005, 05:55 PM   #9
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden
What works

Quote:
Ted Ehara wrote:
Skeptically, I wondered if he could see me move. However that would almost impossible since we were at right angles to each other. At the most, I was riding at the very edge of his peripheral vision. I also thought that maybe he could hear me move.
I am reminded of an episode of my early years in aikido, with Ichimura sensei. He faced me to do chudan tsuki, and for me to do a taisabaki evasive move - and he said that I should close my eyes.

He had a mighty tsuki, so I got nervous, to say the least. I had to obey, though, and managed to avoid his tsuki.

"You see it's possible," he said.
"But I heard you coming," I protested.
Ichimura sensei frowned.
"It worked, didn't it?"

Anyway, is quite real and essential in . That's why it's one of the words in the name of our Martial art. You don't need to explain it, for it to work. I like to call it the ether of intention, but that's just words. Apply its principles, and your aikido will improve. Avoid it altogether, and your aikido will go into a halt.

Extending ki, you can also call extending your awareness. Words, words, words, as Hamlet said. But he also said: "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: http://www.stenudd.com/aikido/