View Single Post
Old 05-26-2005, 01:21 PM   #31
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Culture of Martial Mediocrity?

Hi David,

Thanks for those clips on the other thread...I'm still going through them.

Perhaps I've been going to different seminars for different reasons. When I go to Daito ryu seminars, they tend to be three days in length, and VERY in depth on each kata/waza taught. Not tips or tricks, but in depth study with Kondo Sensei, limited access, really great stuff. When I go to seminars like the one in Boulder, I hear things from my teacher that he doesn't always say in regular class...and I was told that Ikeda Sensei teaches and focuses on material he doesn't cover as much in regular class as well. I have seen some of what you talked about...but I don't tend to go to seminars where I think that is what I'll find. Even in the John Stevens seminars I've helped to arrange in the past, he took 4 or 5 days to cover some very good details...over the years I've gained some good exposure to his interpretation of misogi no ken and jo, and what he refers to as the 'pillars' of aikido. Again, long term, in depth. Not a casual or 'aikido light' approach at all.

So, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about seminars...but then, maybe I'm just picky about where I spend my time. Actually, I think seminars like the aiki expo have a tough sell sometimes *because* there is soo much variety, it can be really hard to focus for the in depth opportunities, as opposed to the quick overview.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)