View Single Post
Old 05-26-2005, 10:48 AM   #27
jss
Netherlands
Re: Culture of Martial Mediocrity?

Quote:
Matt Molloy wrote:
Secondly, the UFC/NHB type fighters generally know quite a bit more than "some striking and some grappling" and it may be prudent, before commenting, to see what some of them come up with as they reach more advanced years. I've read plenty of people, for example, that say that BJJ for example is plenty Aiki when you study it.
You are right that I know far too little about UFC, etc. and the skills involved to comment on it. However your statement above might support the idea I had, since you wrote "as they reach more advanced years". I'd interpret that as they first become more or less succesfull fighters and after a number of years of practice, they come up with more interesting stuff. So they become 'succesfull' with a basic skill set and develop that skill set into something more profound later on.
(For clarity: this idea is just an idea, not a strong opinion of mine, so feel free to correct me.)

Quote:
I always think of Aikido in terms of training the body as well as possible and then using that trained body as efficiently as possible.
It's a bit different than the usual no strength approach.
But isn't the ideal to aspire to the 'no strenght'-idea, since it implies a thorough understanding of other factors that make technique work, such as technique, timing, distance, adaptibility, ... ?
Which of course begs the question as to why mastery of those other factors is worth more than having a thoroughly trained body. (Standard respone: you grow old, you loose physical capabilities. But are well trained old(er) people really that much weaker physically?)

Quote:
Perhaps you need a thoroughly trained body in order to master the skill in all its depth.
Interesting thought. Would you care to elaborate?