View Single Post
Old 05-26-2005, 05:51 AM   #9
Dazzler
Dojo: Templegate Dojo, bristol & Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England
Re: Aikido A Place to Find True Love?

Quote:
Lorien Lowe wrote:
My dojo has a sort of unwritten rule that brown belts and above should not date blue belts and below.

When I read this I laughed.

Quote:
Lorien Lowe wrote:
at least it makes people think about what they're doing and limits the hero-worship aspect of attraction a little. A newbie is likely to quit the dojo if they date a sempai and then break up with them; a more experienced person, less so.
When I read this it made sense.

Personally I dont really have too much respect for seniors that have a string of notches on their obi's from beginners and I see it as a bit of an abuse of power.

I regularly see a bit of hero worship and the fall out that comes with it..not personally...so maybe I'm just jealous!

Everything Lorien says is true....I've seen it time and time again.

At the end of the day I think the responsibility for containing this is with the senior. We are mostly adults (I don't believe you have a cats chance in hell of controlling teenagers) and as Lorien says all you can do is make people think.

Having said all this...'er indoors trained for 11 years so she has an aiki background...and we've been together for 10 years.

My instructors 1st wife is a yondan ...and so is his second.

One of our instructors is going out with a dan grade deschi....and has been out with other students

Two of our deschis are going out with each other.

Two more of our nidans live together.

And thats not the half of it!

Hmmm...forget the rest of my post.

Our dojo seems to be more like 'Love Island' !

If this doesn't boost our membership nothing will

D