View Single Post
Old 05-25-2005, 09:34 AM   #126
jester

United_States
Re: Tantodori no different

Quote:
Matt Molloy wrote:
Nobody on this thread has been saying that if you face a knife you're done for. Several people who do know what they are talking about have been saying respect the knife. Appreciate that it does change things.
Matt.
When I was in 9th grade I got into a fight in my neighborhood. The guy pulled out a knife, and I ended up getting hit on the top of the head with the butt of the knife.

I didn't get cut with the blade, and I didn't know martial arts at the time. The guy wasn't a knife fighter obviously.

The cut bled a lot, and when I got home I looked like I got hit by a truck because of all the blood, but when I washed off all the blood, there was only a small cut.

Anyway, I agree that someone with a knife is very dangerous, but sometimes you will get lucky.

Looking back on it, I should have run away!

On a side note, at our school, we practice release techniques while we are holding the knife and Uke attacks us. The results would be devastating if the knife was real. You can do techniques while holding a knife also. It's an interesting thing to explore.