View Single Post
Old 05-23-2005, 03:57 PM   #94
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden
Not being a target

Oh, I might be writing too many posts, now...
Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
Aikido's aim should be to give you options to be able to walk the line and stop a fight before it stops. It may be with a kamae, or it may be with a pre-emptive technique. Of course this is all philosophical in nature, but then again, aikido is a "DO" art.
I tend to think of it not as starting a fight, but presenting a presence so powerful that the other person thinks it foolish to proceed.
Absolutely! I believe that it is possible to have such an attitude that others find it hard to even focus on attacking. To be so "slippery" that the aggression of others does not stick on you. I don't believe that it is a question of intimidating the would-be attacker, but to sort of disappear as a target for an attack. It's all in the mind

When I was young, and had done aikido for a few years, I experimented a bit with it (well, I still do, sort of): the attitude that is the most difficult to even think of attacking. Who knows if I succeeded? As always, probability rules. Maybe I managed to avoid some conflicts that otherwise would appear.

I remember a three-step thing, happening to me several times. Somebody out in "real life" showed aggression, and was evidently considering fighting me. I tried to be friendly and yielding, saying nice words. Didn't work (you already knew, didn't you all?).

So, then I gave the guy a little growl, showing that I might not be an easy target, and that I would definitely put up a fight. Didn't work, either. Maybe I was not threatening enough, who knows.

Anyway, after that I just relaxed, and thought: To hell with it. I left it to my reflexes (I was young enough to trust them deeply...).
Immediately at that moment, the guy changed attitude, into something very close to my first approach - being friendly, yielding, saying: "Sorry, no, I wouldn't fight you..." And he hurried off.

This happened to me several times, exactly in the same steps. I started thinking, "Hey, this would be a good strategy," but I don't believe that works. As a strategy, it would not work, only as something genuine - me going through the steps and actually trying them, and then finally just relaxing, leaving it to my reflexes and my center to deal with.

Why did it work? I have my theories, but this post is already far too long

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: http://www.stenudd.com/aikido/