View Single Post
Old 05-22-2005, 10:57 PM   #75
eyrie

Australia
Re: Basic elements of Aikido

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Isn't that like asking most Aikido practitioners the specifics of the inner-core ki and kokyu exercises? The vast majority of practitioners are unaware that there is any such thing, would probably insist that they know all there is, etc. and might get irritated with you bringing up the topic which obliquely infers that they don't know everything about their art. I.e., asking an open question like this probably won't yield any substantive results of a pro or con nature.
My bad. I'm sure I could have phrased it better.

Quote:
Well some of it must be, but certainly not all... not unless Omoto-kyo also taught martial arts. It appears that Ueshiba was combining his martial arts, his ki and kokyu knowledge (including the classical stuff), and his religion... all 3 of them... eclectically into his new martial art, Aikido.
Onasaburo Deguchi, from all accounts, was largely instrumental in encouraging Ueshiba in this matter. Put together the (historical) fact that, both men were extremely eccentric and probably fed off each others idiosyncracies, it wouldn't be at all surprising.

Quote:
...Tohei is pointing out that ki/kokyu development is not necessarily chained to Aikido or any other art. However, Tohei's approach is to teach ki within Aikido and I tend to suggest that you don't need any particular martial art to learn the skills (which is what a number of qigongs also do, BTW).
Well it's not. And I agree, you don't need to. Personally, if I were to do ki, I would go back to the source, i.e. yoga and shaolin/wudang-based martial qigong.

Ignatius