View Single Post
Old 05-21-2005, 05:20 PM   #56
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States
Re: techniquies in street fights

Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote:
First knife fight I was in is a classic example. I have a mate. His sole martial arts training consists of one karate class about 10 years ago. One night we were out about, saw some lads on the corner, didn't think much. Next thing we know they're demanding money off us and waving knives in our faces. The one that's on my mate is holding a knife to the back of his neck and searching his pockets when my mate makes a small step and plants a hook on his jaw. The dude hits the floor, totally out of it.
Where was the all powerful knife? In his unconcious hand, totally safe and harmless. Did the knife stop the hook? Did the knife render it's owner mystical powers of invincibilty? There is no mystical power to the knife ....
I'm glad that you have survived these encounters -- the one described above and the one listed in the other message --- but I never said the knife had mystical power. The knife's power is that unlike an impact weapon, you don't have to wind up in order to do serious damage.

There's a video I've scene comprised of videos of cops who have SURVIVED knife attacks. Yes, these guys have guns and clubs and some empty hand technique and go for strength in numbers, and they still get disfigured or killed by people weilding knives. It is not something to make light of. This is why my Kali instructor and his Serak instructor absolutely FORBID training with real knives, even if they are sheathed.

Quote:
Simple experiement, give a tanto to someone in the dojo, take them by the wrist holding the tanto and tell them to stab you. While they're doing this imagine how many times you could have punched them in the throat, or choaked them. Who do you think would have died first?
If the person someohow manages to wiggle around and slash the arteries in my wrist, I am in trouble.

Here's another experiment:

Give a wooden tanto to someone in the dojo and have him or her rest it on the side of your throat with your blade next to your carotid artery. Think of how many things you can do before they pull their arm back, only maybe the length of the knife, inflicting a life-threatening injury if it's a real knife. Now who's in trouble?

I'm glad you've survived, but you've learned the wrong lessons from your experiences.