View Single Post
Old 05-19-2005, 09:58 AM   #29
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Basic elements of Aikido

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
I made a point about Zen Masters rediscovering Zen. They didn't "just know it" without seeking it either and I'm sure it was also a non-trivial endeavor. How could one even compare those discovering how to develop ki and kokyu skills to becoming a Zen master (and trivialize one enough to dismiss it) unless you've done both?! Lastly, if discovering how to develop ki and kokyu skills is so complex that it cannot be re-discovered, I suppose I wonder how anyone initially discovered it.
I'm not sure why you're comparing "spiritual enlightenment" of sorts with the physical skills of ki and kokyu. There's a complex relationship that I could discuss, but it's not germane at this level. For the moment, rest assured that learning how to acquire ki and kokyu skills is, as Tohei indicated, in the physical realm.

Insofar as your contention, without having shown any indication of expertise to support it, that someone can rediscover a subject that is complex in its whole (i.e., you can certainly "rediscover" a thing here and there, but you couldn't possibly rediscover a whole subject that was developed over many generations), I suggest that you pursue it that way and let us know how it works out. I'll be interested in the results. As I've noted, I have no desire to get into another useless argument that devolves every time to the personal level. Instead of insisting on something through repeated assertions, as you continue to do, why don't you tell us some of the basic information that you've "rediscovered" and how it works on a physical level? Perhaps another thread along those lines?

Mike Sigman