View Single Post
Old 05-18-2005, 08:06 PM   #22
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
Re: Basic elements of Aikido

There was a point in history where no Zen masters gave transmission to any students, and yet we have Zen masters today. Are they all frauds? No. Then how could this have happened? Well, I think the point is that the information is available at the level of basic human intuition, and it can be re-discovered independent of who thought of it first. Apparently, the story goes, when the first new master called himself a Zen master, the nay-sayers demanded "by what authority do you make this claim?!" and the new master pounded on the ground with his fist and exclaimed "by this authority!".

Independent discovery of such things has happened in the past and will certainly happen again. Of course the past contributes to the present, but how much so is always a reasonable question on a case by case basis. Of course, I'm open to the idea that some of the ki developing methodology were originally Chinese. I'm equally open to the idea that all of these ideas are manifestations of kodotama. I'm open to the idea that the original study of kodotama didn't have to necessarily be Japanese and that they maybe just preserved that particular understanding better, and that the Chinese just preserved their understanding of how to manifest those ideas better given their culture. I certainly don't know any of it for sure and neither does anyone else. That perspective helps keep me truly open-minded, and avoid mental materialism.

Rob

And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.