Thread: Staying soft.
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2005, 04:38 PM   #25
jester

United_States
Re: Staying soft.

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote:
The problem I see is not in the Idea of being "soft", it's in the idea of training this concept. While it's true that most beginners need to focus on being sensitive, and relaxing, and should be kept at a very slow pace. Advanced Aikidoka seldom leave this generally relaxed environment with their practice of their Aikido. They may speed up the practice, ask for harder attacks, and even practice regular jiyuwaza, but they are still leaving themselves completely untrained with respects to real resistance. By never practicing your technique against resistive opponents, you are short siding yourself. When you actually meet a resistive attack in real confrontation, you are likely to freeze up, and not respond, you will lose the "softness", you've been training!
So my question Is why don't more Aikidoka practice against resistive attacks. Why is there not really any sparring* in Aikido.

-Chris Hein
I agree with Chuck.

Chris, the way I learned techniques is that uke always does a particular thing after he is off balanced. Tomiki Aikido has 17 basic techniques. In each technique, uke reacts from his off balance in a different way. When learning these techniques, uke always does the same reaction for that particular technique. That way your subconscious knows what it should feel like, and when something changes, you can go into the appropriate reaction.

You never want to MAKE a technique work. If uke is uncooperative when practicing the basics, that particular technique will probably never work. You just do something else. There is no what if, only what is. Adjust to what IS happening, and you will not use more strength.

I would think that if you try a technique and don't realize when it is a failure, you will end up using more power to make it work.

Karl Geis always says "Nothing ever works". You always adapt to the scenario and don't try to make something happen because there are to many things that can go wrong.

Uke plays an important role in this, and he has to know what reaction is appropriate for the technique your working on.

Knowing when a technique is a failure, is very very very important.