View Single Post
Old 05-17-2005, 09:04 AM   #3
Dazzler
Dojo: Templegate Dojo, bristol & Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England
Re: Can women defend themselves?

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote:
In "the women and baby thread" I thought I noticed an attitude that Aikido training is nice for women but they can't really ever learn to defend themselves. So what do you as an instructor or student think about this?

And if you are an instructor and you don't believe that women can ever learn to defend themselves, how can you help to instill the feeling that they could?

I think a lot of men think that they could overtake a woman just because she is a women. I don't mean this to become a men vs women thread, I am just interested if people have really ever thought about this and why they believe it.

In my college history class my professor laughed and said " Do you really believe you could defend yourself against me?" I just smiled and said maybe. But I knew I could. He really had no idea of another side of me.
Mary
I think you need some salt to go with that chip!

Seriously Mary...I can't see anything sexist in the posts.

Generally I believe a good big 'un will beat a good little 'un regardless of gender.

Introduce weapons of any type and a no rules situation and that theory goes out of the window. anyone can 'win', men or women.

Sure women can be dangerous - Give them a car and they are positively lethal (sorry sorry sorry - couldn't resist it)

D

Last edited by Dazzler : 05-17-2005 at 09:06 AM.