View Single Post
Old 07-23-2001, 06:37 AM   #16
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
I'm a bit confused when it comes to the carp-story. I mean.. I usually run around in circles all the time, but I'm definately not in great shape.
Anyway: Am I the only one who finds it intersting that a style calling itself "Nihon Goshin Aikido" insists on using english terms when it comes to naming techniques? Why not go all the way and translate the name of the style ? Perhaps something like "Japanese five-spirited way of lifeforce and harmony" ? Nah wouldn't really work would it ?
I agree that classes should be thaught in a language understandable by the majority of the people present. In our dojo that would be danish unless we have foreign visitors. Then it would often be in english. However every technique or basic principle is called by its japanese name and whenever I go abroad to train in foreign dojo's I really apreciate that I can understand and recognice the things that the sensei says. I can partially understand why english people would concidere using their own terms but to translate into danish terms (small country, and not that many aikido-ka's) would make little or no sense.
My opinion: Don't discard tradition without carefully concideration and don't hang on to tradition with any less concideration. Tradition can be a great thing, but seldom for the sake of tradition itself.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration