View Single Post
Old 05-16-2005, 08:45 AM   #26
rogueenergy
Dojo: Aikido of Lincoln
United_States
Re: Poll: Should religion play a part in an aikido curriculum?

From Dictionary.com:
re·li·gion
n.

1. a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

Should religion be part of an Aikido curriculum? According to the definition of religion, yes. Remember that to include something in a curriculum does not require grading on that item. I'm included in all of my dojo's functions, I am not required to be there.

What religion? Aikido, an activity that is clearly pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion. All things we as human beings do can become a religion. All things we do can lead to a lack of appropriate reasoning when it comes to ethics. It depends on the core principles of the thing and the teachings of the one who inspired you to do the thing. Lastly, it is colored by your own personal views of the world.

What would Aikido be w/out religion? Would we still extend? Would we use Ki? Would Osensei have used the Kami in descriptions of Aikido? Would Osensei have been able to teach Aikido? Would Budo exist?

Should religion be part of an Aikido curriculum? Yes, but only in as much as it is required for us to be able to practice Aikido.