Thread: Back Problems
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2005, 07:30 AM   #1
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Back Problems

I recently injured my back carrying some bags up a couple of floors. When I was carrying them, there were no problems. And as far I know, I'm quite capable of carrying around 60-70kg over my shoulders. The stuff I was carrying might have weighed at 20kg or so...and had to be carried with both hands in front of me.

That afternoon my back started to ache. And it got so bad that the next day for several days I couldn't stand without pain.

About 15 years back I injured my back and an MRI showed that I had spinal protusion on the lowest disc. A recent MRI showed no change. Although it was painful then, it never occured again unless I strained my back (like doing the boat exercise for the stomach). I've been practising aikido for some 7 years and have never had any problems with my back even though we take hard ukemis a lot.

So its been 3 and half weeks now. Its not very painful, but I can still feel it. What do you think I should do? Should I start training again or wait until it completely disappears. I'm afraid that by not training soon, I'm just allowing my back to dictate the pace of my recuperation.

The doctor said it was a muscle problem not a nerve problem. But somehow, I think its a little bit of both.

Are there any remedial stuff I can do in your experience?

Thanks.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.