View Single Post
Old 07-22-2001, 08:36 PM   #15
Nick
Dojo: Aikido of Greater Atlanta
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by ca
Excellent example, Erik, I wish as a physician I't thought of it. You guys type fast, too. To steal from Erik, Nick, washing ones hands was not built on previous medical practices, it was a radical breaking with previous thought, seen as worthless by those who held to the traditional views of medicine. Much, I imagine, as some of the traditional martial artists viewed the new outside-the-box approach of Aikido. Growth is necessary for life.
Oh, and for what it is worth, we caused MUCH more problems with dirty hands; unwashed hands of physicians made childbirth an extremely risky business.
which would you prefer to deliver your child? A trained physician with unwashed hands, or someone who took a CPR course a few years ago, but has shiny tools and anti bacterial soap?

Convienences and innovations are nice, but worthless unless backed up with the form that makes up the art. This can be seen in the aikido student who looks for better, more "fun" ways to perform a technique when he hasn't even properly learned the technique in the first place. Without a thorough grounding in the kihon, the basics, whether we washed our hands or not seems irrelevant...

Nick

Last edited by Nick : 07-22-2001 at 08:44 PM.

---
Nick Porter
"Do not fall into the trap of the artisan who boasts twenty years of experience, when in fact he has had only one year of experience-- twenty times."