View Single Post
Old 05-13-2005, 09:13 AM   #72
ShugyoSystems
Australia
Re: Please help me find a dojo in Melbourne!

Quote:
Si Wilson wrote:
Hmmm, this hakama thing is a bit like not joining the Navy because you don't like the uniform.

As for Joe Thambu Sensei, he is one of the best teachers and Aikidoka I have had the pleasure of learning from and landing very hard on the mat from. He has dedicated his entire life to Aikido and any comment such as suggesting that he does not hold as much respect for the hakama as you....! Well, that statement alone shows itself as false, or you would never have made it:

1. JIN (Benevolence)

2. GI (Honour)

3. REI (Courtesy and etiquette)

4. CHI ( Wisdom, Intelligence)

5. SHIN ( Sincerity)

6. CHU (Loyalty)

7. KOH (Piety)

I must admit to being amazed you could even think that!
Well I'll take it as a compliment that you're amazed that I would think such a thing, because I don't!

Once again...geee this is getting old.... I've been misquoted, and misunderstood. I really don't appreciate this constant string of people twisting my words. I trust that it's just an accident.

I said "he doesn't respect the meaning of the hakama in the way that I and OSensei, and hopefully someone else out there, do."
Saying he doesn't respect it the same way I do does not mean that he does not respect it as much as I do.

As I've also said, there may be some reason that he has not made public, as to why he does not follow in what are widely known to be OSensei's footsteps on this matter, and that I will be making an effort to discuss this with him in an affort to learn from him.

I was referring to the fact that in the eyes of myself and to the best of my knowledge, O'Sensei, the hakama is a must-have on the mat.

1. JIN (Benevolence)
Has been shown by almost everyone on this thread while suggesting certain situations where some aikidoka are not able to wear hakama (from poverty, to postwar materials shortages)

2. GI (Honour)
Honouring OSensei is precisely why I feel the importance of wearing hakama on the mat. Thanks to a quote you can read above, It has been shown to me that if it is not possible to train in hakama, it is still possible to train while honourin OSensei's ways.

3. REI (Courtesy and etiquette)
I have made it clear that I hold no disrespect for Thambu Sensei and have made every attempt to be polite despite the consistent rudeness shown by those attaking me for my beliefs

4. CHI ( Wisdom, Intelligence)
Where's tha lack in wisdom and intelligence here?

5. SHIN ( Sincerity)
I doubt that anyone could accuse me of lacking honesty and sincerity in any of my posts. If anything you might compain that there is too much of it for you to handle?

6. CHU (Loyalty)
Loyalty to OSensei is precisely the point of all this. Loyalty to my fellow Aikidoka is just why I trust this community to help me. Loyalty to the art is precisely why I feel great respect for Thambu Sensei despite never having met the man.

7. KOH (Piety)
Once again Piety is the source of my need for help here. I feel that the removal of the hakama represents the removal of the pious nature of the art and am hoping to find that piety within the dojo available to me.

As for the navy analogy, in fact, you;ve gotten it a little backwards. If, like I, you have a personal history and family heritage of military service, you'll be well aware of the importance placed on the uniform.

If your analogy were adjusted to better represent the situation, it would in fact be that this is a little like not wanting to rejoin the Navy now that they have removed the treasured uniform, the Royal Navy crest, the hard-earned chevrons, the service medals, the crisp whites ironed and starched to crisp creased perfection, the spit-polished boots in which your superior can see his reflection thanks to your hours of work, the ceremonial sword, the specifics such as lining up the belt buckle with the centreline of the pants zipper and the 75cm paces while marching with thumbs pulled down, and replaced it with a pair of old shorts and a t-shirt and a stroll in the park with a beer OK I took it a bit far but you get the idea. You got it backwards!

Still I appreciate your input and thank you for sticking up for Thambu Sensei, despite the fact that you did not need to defend him as he was not being attacked - as each time one of you does so, you further strengthen my realisation that he is obviously a man of great honour which brings his students to respect him greatly.