View Single Post
Old 05-12-2005, 08:48 PM   #19
eyrie

Australia
Re: covering your openings

Gee David, you lost me. Try explaining that to a 12 year old...

I think Ron was close on the button, and I'm sure David was too, just that I couldn't understand a word he was saying.

I think the idea is how do you off balance the person as they attempt to grab your wrist before they can follow up with a strike. I think any idea of "blocking" anything from hanmi han dachi is moot - you will get hit. If not the first, then the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th etc., as Rob pointed out.

Rob, if you've seen Takeda do this one, you'll see him draw uke into his center and atemi the face, whilst continuing to draw uke into an arc so that uke ends up circling around Takeda's back straight into shionage. I believe the draw in and around the back, coupled with the atemi in the direction you want uke to go, is enough to nullify any notion of throwing a strike or kick in as uke is already off balance and playing catch up to Takeda - whom I have seen many times do this move from the seated position without so much as shifting. All his hands do is move in an up-down motion, but it feels like he is using his body (center) to draw you into this big black hole. :O

Ignatius