View Single Post
Old 05-12-2005, 10:31 AM   #7
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: covering your openings

Blocks? Darn tootin'...ayate yoke, sankaku yoke, all kinds of yoke... yokeru, to avoid. I think the misunderstanding comes in that people think static blocks where you stand still and try to stop the attack. I believe this to be a false premise. Combine as many levels of protection as you can, [move, atemi, block], 3 levels of protection. This does not require stoping uke's momentum.

Which brings us to hanmi handachi katate mochi shihonage. Again, I was taught (in Daito ryu and yoshinkan aikido) to lock and enter at the same time. When uke grabs you must enter (using shikko-ho) into their center. Entering with the lock applied prevents them from striking (and certainly from kicking) as they should be off balance with their body 'open' and turned already. Daito ryu adds to the lock by using the forehead against the elbow to enhance the lock and enforce the throw.

Not that its easy.... Maybe a bit of the Magic Mr. Szcepan often refers to is required...

The problem that I have is that in my experience, this pretty much requires the straight arm shihonage, which seems to be a no-no in much of modern aikido, and which has its own set of problems. Experienced people often simply don't allow their elbows to be easily straightened, and Ellis Amdur has shown a simple way to immediately break that lock if it is achieved (described in a recent thread). I think this is what makes unbalancing the uke at the very first instant so important. Its just that that can be very difficult to do...If you do get the elbow straight though, using the forehead to maintain the elbow lock would seem to prevent Ellis's counter from working. But I haven't tried this with him yet! I have a feeling it might not work against him...

Best,
Ron

ps Michael or Steven...do you have a step by step description of this technique?

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 05-12-2005 at 10:38 AM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)