View Single Post
Old 05-11-2005, 09:07 AM   #61
eyrie

Australia
Re: Please help me find a dojo in Melbourne!

I hope you're not calling me a liar!

I see no point in nitpicking what I said, or your of interpretation what I said. I'm going to let it slide. Heck, call me complacent, but at this hour, I'm in no mood for it.

Seriously, whether you believe it or not, I am trying to help. Short of me saying that I don't think you're going to find the perfect dojo, and good luck going into someone else's dojo and trying to change their rites and rituals? No, I'm not going to. (Oops!)

Nor am I am going to get into the argument of displaced cultural traditions which no longer exist even in the parent country, only in the hearts and minds of the few.

I wish you well on your search and your journey for perfection. Perhaps you should take your credentials to a dojo and ask if they will recognize it. Shihan Jan de Jong's name is well known, I'm sure you will be most welcome to train at most dojo. Maybe go easy on the hakama issue, lest you receive a less than welcome response.

If you happen to be this side of Queensland, you are most welcome to come train with me in my dojo, with your hakama, but do bring a picture of O'Sensei that we can hang on the wall...

PS: Don't mean to burst your bubble, but one of O'Sensei's books written in the 1930's was published with the specific caeveat from him, that the material therein was "not to be shown to non-Japanese". I guess that means, some of us are in a lot of trouble with the man.

Last edited by eyrie : 05-11-2005 at 09:20 AM.

Ignatius