View Single Post
Old 05-11-2005, 06:33 AM   #54
ShugyoSystems
Australia
Re: Please help me find a dojo in Melbourne!

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote:
I walked away because you seem intent on pressing the point, and besides, I had to leave to go to training. But I am glad you had a laugh over it.

Why not? Because it is an imperfect world with each dojo having their own rules and rituals. I believe mudansha in Michael Field's dojo do wear a hakama, but it did not meet your other criteria.

I understand where you're coming from, but if neither are as important and unimportant, why do you insist on pressing the point?

FWIW, my personal expression is simply that - mine. Not something I impose on my students. Some of my students wear a black gi to training because it is the only thing they can afford.

Does that make me a heretic? Does that make me less serious or passionate about my training? If I don't bow to an image of the old man, does that make me less respectful?
Pressing the point? If you don't want to respond, then don't; but don't respond by misquoting me and twisting my words to support your standpoint, and then complain that I'm pressing the point, when the point you're making implies mistruth about me and I'm just trying to set the facts straight. If I told a lie on your behalf, I'm sure you'd pipe up. You are piping up, repeatedly. Does that mean you're "pressing the point"?

Mudansha at Field's do not wear hakama I am afraid, or at least that is what I was told when I visited...

I continue to discuss this and to correct you on your misquotes etc (you call it pressing the point) because it is important to me that you do not think of me, that which is not true. In case you haven't noticed, while we've been rabbiting on, I have otherwise been moving on in the discussion, from a matter of finding the perfect dojo, to accepting that it does not exist, to discussing the spiritual ramifications and whether to sacrifice the physical, or the spiritual, or both, would be the best course of action, given that sacrificing neither is an impossibility.

I'm not pressing the point mate, I'm moving on, and in the meantime, I'm setting the facts straight.

I see what you mean about "it is an imperfect world with each dojo having their own rules and rituals", but does that mean that it HAS to be that way? Of course not. So is it such a bad thing to try to improve the situation? Is accepting things the way that they are, if they could be better, being non-attached, or being complacent?

Me, I'm inclined to try and do something about the things I see around me that could be improved. That is the way our samurai forefathers would have done it, or else they would not have carried swords. If you choose to discard those beliefs, then so be it. But it seems to me you're fence-sitting.

"FWIW, my personal expression is simply that - mine. Not something I impose on my students. Some of my students wear a black gi to training because it is the only thing they can afford.

Does that make me a heretic? Does that make me less serious or passionate about my training?"

Lord, no! That makes you compassionate! I applaude it. I already said that I understand that in some cases wearing hakama is too much to ask. I'm sure that if hakama cost nothing you'd probably hand them out for free.

As for "If I don't bow to an image of the old man, does that make me less respectful?"

To him? Yes. He has given you so much.