View Single Post
Old 05-11-2005, 04:15 AM   #47
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Re: Please help me find a dojo in Melbourne!

"Absolutely Michael! When I started HapKiDo (my first foray into MA) I am ashamed to say that all I was after was a way to win fights. It didn't take long for me to grow beyond that. The change never stops of course."

I got my hand cut a bit on saturday doing Tachi-dori with a live ken (I botched up ), nothing too bad, no tendons cut or anything, just a nasty flesh wound across my little finger, ring finger and palm.

Well I went back for a check up yesterday morning to see how the wound was healing and saw a different doctor. He was asian and I had to explain to him how the accident happened, went like this:

Doctor; "So how did you cut hand?"

Me: "Erm, I got hit with a sword doing aikido, erm."

Doctor: *Rolls Eyes and tuts.* "You werent wearing the gloves?"

Me: "Erm, its not like kendo. We dont wear armour."

Doctor: "Ah, so it must be OK to get cut then?"

Me: *feeling very small and silly* "Erm, no, I slipped up."

Doctor: "Ah..."

Me: "Erm."

Doctor: " So let me ask, why are you doing this aikido thing? do you want to be some MA champion?"

Me: "Erm, no, we dont have any competitions or anything. I just like it."

Doctor: "So you like this?" *points to wound*.

Me: *chuckle* "No."

Anyway, was funny (maybe you had to be there?) trying to explain why I do aikido, people asking always ask about rankings and tournaments and stuff first. Its hard to explain to someone why you practise a potentially dangerous sport/art with not many materialistic benefits when everyone is so brought up on the competitive aspects of things.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.