View Single Post
Old 05-10-2005, 06:36 PM   #28
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan
Re: Please help me find a dojo in Melbourne!

Todd,

One point that you may want to consider when you make your list of what you require in a dojo is that it is highly probable that your needs and requirements will change as you pursue your training. I have talked to many fellow Aikido practitioners about this and I cannot think of a single person who is still training with the same expectations and desires they started with.

We all evolve as people and Aikido is one very positive way to grow within yourself. My expectations of what Aikido will do for me have changed/mutated a dozen times over the years and when I think back I can't believe how limited my original "goals" were.

Go train. Find out the parts that you like in the dojo and see if they outway the parts that you don't like. If they do, stay...if they don't, go someplace else and try again.

I have trained with Joe Thambu Sensei and highly recommend him. Not only is he highly proficient at Aikido he is a genuinely warm and interesting individual. I suspect that his dojo will be the same.

cheers,

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs