View Single Post
Old 07-18-2001, 11:59 AM   #9
Erik
Hi Jorge.

I don't debate much of what you have said. That they have done much to spread the art seems undeniable to me. That we should be grateful for that also seems appropriate to me.

Yet, it also seems as if your glasses are tinted the color of roses. I thought the following from the Birankai web site summed things up nicely.

There is a third way in which Birankai International will protect the unity of purpose Sensei wishes it to have. That is in the establishment of shihan title. For many years, the shihan of the North American Continental Shihankai have been negotiating with Hombu Dojo to allow for the recognition of non-Japanese teachers as shihan. In order for Aikido to truly take root outside Japan, it must develop, support, and honor teachers native to the countries where it is practiced. Unfortunately, over time, it has become apparent that the issuance of shihan title to non-Japanese must be resolved without the direct assistance of Hombu Dojo. Therefore, Chiba Sensei has given shihan title to three of the senior teachers in Birankai International US.

The bold part says a lot and it seems to me from my bleacher seat that maybe they could be doing a better job of this.

Last edited by Erik : 07-18-2001 at 12:17 PM.