View Single Post
Old 05-08-2005, 07:13 AM   #1
Efe Yucemen

United Kingdom
Tomiki and the Theory of Aikido

Hello,

I'm relatively new to aikido, but being the curious type I enjoy reading books on aikido and also the many great postings here. One of the first books I read on aikido was "aikido and the competitive edge" by Nariyama Shihan of the JAA. This book cited a lot of Kenji Tomiki's work on the relation of aikido to the other Japanese budo, and also technical or theoretical aspects such as sen, maai and kuzushi.

My comment is that it seems, at least to me that Kenji Tomiki's work on understanding aikido as a physical activity and laying out certain aspects in a rational/scientific manner (ala Kano and Judo) have been totally disregarded or forgotten by the broader Aikido world.

I currently train at an Aikikai dojo here in London, but have also experienced training at a Tomiki dojo and am well aware of the differences. I can understand why people might find the idea of competition unpalatable, (and just to avoid that old chestnut I think that you can have "realistic" training w/o explicit randori/shiai ) but I don't understand why the hard work and thought of such an early and important exponent of the art is left outside of the general body of knowledge.

I can only hazard to say that not only is there some political stigma attached to his thoughts/works, but there is a general aversion to an explanation or interpretation of aikido which is non-mystical, dry and scientific. Would you agree?

kind regards